Are there any scholarships available for IWU?

A limited number of full and partial scholarships are available. To apply, please send your résumé, two references, and a cover letter stating your motivation for attending the IWU to the Project Director (see Contact/Team) by September 1, 2019. You will be notified of your acceptance approximately around Oktober 1, 2019

How many seminars can I attend?

You can attend one 3-week seminar. The seminar of your choice is covered by the course fee.

How many ECTS-credits can I earn?

The standard program encompasses 6 credits (ECTS-credits): 2.0 credits for the language course and 4.0 credits for participation in the seminar.

How do I get a visa?

If you are a citizen of a country that is under a visa requirement to enter Germany, we will send you an invitation letter to facilitate the visa process after we've received your payment or your scholarship was confirmed. Many consulates accept the invitation letter as scanned copy. If not so, we will send you a hard copy by express mail.
Please check the website of your German consulate for information which documents are required for your visa application.
The visa process lasts several weeks - make sure you apply as early as possible! Please keep the Project Director informed during the process.

Is there an address where I can have mail sent during the IWU?

Please, have all mail sent to the IWU-office, c/o your name. Example:

International Winter University (IWU)
University of Applied Sciences Fulda
c/o your first name, last name
Leipzigerstr. 123
D – 36037 Fulda

Messages / parcels can be picked up at the post office of the university.

How do I get cash during IWU?

It's easiest if you have a debit or credit card with a 4-digit PIN number to be used at all ATMs. Please note that in case you don't have a PIN number, you may have trouble paying with a credit card, as many smaller shops and restaurants don't accept credit cards. In any case, inform your credit card provider about your trip to Germany before your departure - otherwise the use of your card may be blocked.
In case you need cash quickly during IWU, your family may send you a money order. Please ask at the IWU office for more information.

Can I use Travelers Cheques?

We don't recommend the use of travelers cheques. They are hardly accepted by any shops in Germany and even only very few banks will cash them.

Where can I make phone calls during the IWU?

Public phones are available in the university dormitories and downtown.
Airtime can be bought at local shops, rates for outgoing domestic and international calls are both very inexpensive (between 0.03 € for a domestic call and 0.11 € or 0.29 € for international - depending on country called - calls per minute). Incoming calls are free for you.

Can I access the Internet during the IWU?

During the IWU, you will be provided with a key for free access to email and internet in the computer labs of the university. Internet access can not be guaranteed at all accommodations. The tutors can also help you to set up your own laptop computer for free use of wi-fi on campus.

Is there an opportunity to do laundry during the IWU?

In most accomodations washing machines are available, most often for a fee.  There are also laundromat facilities in town.

Do I have to bring sheets and towels?

Sheets and a few towels are provided at the accommodation unless you receive notification otherwise. It's usually a good idea to bring a few towels with you, however.

Can I use my electrical appliances?

There are outlets in every room. The standard in Germany is 220 volts. You need to check if your appliances are suitable for that. You should also buy an adapter before you come to Germany.

What happens if I get sick or have an accident during IWU?

We take out insurance for all IWU participants. It covers illnesses and accidents incurred during IWU, no payment is necessary from your side, except in some cases for medications. In case you get sick or hurt, please call the IWU team immediately through the emergency number. We will accompany you to a doctor or the hospital and notify your family at home.
Pre-existing and psychological conditions are exempt. If you suffer from or expect any such problems, please get information from your insurance at home about the coverage abroad and bring a sufficient amount of your medication with you.

Emergency Services

If you are in urgent need of medical attention at the weekend or during the night then you can report to the "Ambulanz" or "Notaufnahme" ward (Accident and Emergency) in hospitals or call a doctor. The addresses and telephone numbers of doctors can be found in the local newspapers under "Notdienst" or "Ärztlicher Notdienst", or in the telephone directory.

The emergency numbers in Germany are 110 (Police) and 112 (Fire Brigade).


In Germany there are numerous types of doctors, from GP’s ("Allgemeinmediziner") to specialists ("Fachärzte") such as eye specialists, dermatologists, etc. Most people have a GP as their "family doctor" ("Hausarzt"). This doctor can transfer people to specialists if necessary. In certain cases you can visit a specialist without consulting your family doctor first. Doctors have specific visiting hours when patients can seek advice. It is always recommendable to make an appointment as waiting times can be long. If a doctor is needed urgently, it is not necessary to make an appointment. The names and addresses of doctors can be found in the local telephone directory. The Yellow Pages ("Gelbe Seiten") list specialists.


In Germany medicines can only be bought at pharmacies ("Apotheken"). Most medicines require a prescription from a doctor. The prescription drugs needed are written down on a prescription ("Rezept") by the doctor and taken to the pharmacy. The prescription is taken to the pharmacy by the patient and the pharmacist issues the medicines. A nominal fee is paid for each drug depending on the cost of each medicine. Some painkillers, such as headache tablets, are available at pharmacies without a prescription.

Private patients must pay the full price of the medicines and then claim this money back from their insurer.

There is always at least one pharmacy open in every area day and night. This is called the "Notdienst". In rural communities people may have to travel to the nearest village or town. The addresses of the pharmacies that are open on specific days are listed in local newspapers under "Apotheken-Notdienst". All pharmacies always have a sign to tell customers which pharmacy is open on which day.

Does my insurance cover medication for chronical deseases?

No, you will have to pay for this medication, but your insurance at home may reimburse the costs.

Do I need special vaccination for Germany?

There is no vaccination obligatory for entering Germany, but we do recommend you the following vaccination: Diphtheria and Tetanus
For more information please visit the website www.fit-for-travel.de

Are there special health risks?

Lyme disease:

Risk of infection throughout the country.
Vector: ticks (especially in grass, woods, forests and bushes)
Increased risk of transmission from April through October.
Protection: Tick protection through skin-covering clothes; use of insect repellents (creams, lotions, sprays). Search you body for ticks after you have been in the woods and consult a doctor if you find a tick on your body. Be very careful while removing the tick or let the doctor do so. If you get infected you might have to take antibiotics.


Risk of infection throughout the country; Vaccination. Keep away from stray animals (especially dogs and cats). If you get bitten consult a doctor.